Mark 2 v 1-5 & 12
A few days later Jesus went back to Capernaum, and the news spread that he was at home. So many people came together that there was no room left, not even out in front of the door. Jesus was preaching the message to them when four men arrived, carrying a paralysed man to Jesus. Because of the crowd, however, they could not get the man to him. So they made a hole in the roof right above the place where Jesus was. When they had made an opening, they let the man down, lying on his mat. Seeing how much faith they had, Jesus said to the paralysed man, “My son, your sins are forgiven.”
While they all watched, the man got up, picked up his mat, and hurried away. They were all completely amazed and praised God, saying, “We have never seen anything like this!”
- Have you ever prayed for a miracle? (This does not need to be a serious answer.)
- What did you pray for?
Jesus performed hundreds of miracles.
- How many miracles can you name that Jesus did?
His miracles were never as a magic show or to show off.
- So, why did Jesus perform miracles?
The crowd has followed Jesus to Capernaum where he is sitting teaching in someone’s house.
- What happens next?
- When the man finally arrived through the roof at Jesus’ feet what do you think he was hoping for?
- What was the first thing Jesus did for the man? (Mark 2:5)
As far as Jesus is concerned the greatest gift he can give to us is forgiveness so we can become friends of God.
- How did the religious leaders respond to Jesus forgiving his sins?
The religious leaders knew that only God could forgive sins. That’s why they were so cross – because Jesus was acting like God.
- What did Jesus then do to prove that he really is God’s son? (Mark 2:12)
This story shows Jesus as the healer in two ways:
He can heal our relationship with God by forgiving the bad things we have done.
He can heal our bodies when we are sick or hurting.
Take a quiet moment.
- Think of something you need to ask Jesus to forgive you for.
- Think of someone you want to ask Jesus to heal.
Let’s bring these specific requests to God in prayer.
Thank you that you can forgive the wrong things we have done and heal our relationship with God. I am sorry for [ ].
We believe that you can make people better when they are sick. Please heal [ ].
Thank you for your amazing power and love!
Re-enact the story and film it. (You could make a model or dress up.) Send it to someone to remind them that God can heal them.
Finally - have a look at the back of your card. What does it say? You can now place your card onto your story line.
We hope you are enjoying the story so far. We would love to hear your thoughts on what’s working and what’s confusing? Thanks