The angel also showed me the river of the water of life, sparkling like crystal, and coming from the throne of God and of the Lamb and flowing down the middle of the city’s street. On each side of the river was the tree of life, which bears fruit twelve times a year, once each month; and its leaves are for the healing of the nations. Nothing that is under God’s curse will be found in the city. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and his servants will worship him. They will see his face, and his name will be written on their foreheads.
The last book in the Bible is called Revelation. It gives us a glimpse of a new world that God has promised.
- If you could get rid of one thing in this world, what would it be and why?
Think right back to the beginning of the Bible story.
- · What was the world like when God first created it?
- · What went wrong with it?
- · Through Jesus, what has God done to sort it out?
Because Jesus died to take away all the bad stuff that ruins this world, we can look forward to a new creation where everything is perfect again.
- · In the book of Revelation, who was given a sneak preview of our future home?
People have strange ideas about what eternity will be like.
- · But which of the following does John actually see?
A golden city
Trees with fruit
People playing harps
Cherubs floating on clouds
Ghosts spooking people
A river of life
A glorious throne and a king
John’s vision shows us that eternal life will be far more real and solid. It’s like planet earth made perfect again.
- · What are you most looking forward to in this new creation and why?
Everyone who believes in Jesus can look forward to being together in this new home.
- · Is there anyone in particular that you are looking forward to seeing again?
- · What do you think it might be like when we are all reunited?
In his vision John saw a throne with a Lamb at the centre of it all.
- · Who is this referring to?
The new creation will be a perfect home because Jesus is there and we will see him face to face.
- · Imagine that! How will it feel to be that close to Jesus?
Because we have the amazing promise of an eternal home to look forwards to, this life is not all we’ve got. It’s only the warm up to the real thing.
· How does this change how we think about death?
How does this change the way we live and what’s important here and now?
Thank you for the promise of a perfect new creation. Thank you that one-day we will be there with you. Help us not to fear death but to keep eternity in sight. Help us to live for the things that really matter.
In the “Read It” John sees the name"Jesus” on people’s foreheads because they belong to him. Grab a pen… It’s easier to do this on someone else!
Finally - have a look at the back of your card. What does it say? You can now place your card onto your story line.
We hope you are enjoying the story so far. We would love to hear your thoughts on what’s working and what’s confusing? Thanks