John said to the crowds …
“I baptise you with water, but he [the one who is coming] will baptise you with the Holy Spirit.”
Not long afterwards Jesus came from Nazareth in the province of Galilee, and was baptized by John in the Jordan. As soon as Jesus came up out of the water, he saw heaven opening and the Spirit coming down on him like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, “You are my own dear Son. I am pleased with you.”
John the Baptist was a wild prophet who lived out in the wilderness.
He survived by eating wild locusts and honey.
- What’s the strangest food you’ve ever eaten?
John wore camel skins to keep warm.
- What’s the most uncomfortable clothing you’ve ever put on?
John the Baptist was like a signpost.
- Who was he preparing the way for and how?
Thirty years have now passed since Jesus was born.
What has he been up to in that time?
- Flying around the world in a cape fixing problems.
- Training as a ninja warrior to take down the Roman Empire.
- Going to school, doing his homework and then working as a builder.
Even though Jesus is, “Emmanuel - God with us,” he became a human being just like us.
One day Jesus came to the River Jordan to be baptised by John. Imagine Jesus lining up in the queue with all the other people waiting to repent of their sins and be baptised.
- Why was Jesus different from everyone else in the queue?
- What happened as Jesus came out of the water? (Mark 1:10-11)
Even before Jesus began working on God’s big rescue plan, his Father in heaven told him how much he loved him and was pleased with him.
- How do you think this made Jesus feel?
When we follow Jesus, God becomes our Father. No matter what we have done, or achieved, He loves us and is pleased with us.
- How does this make you feel?
John spent the rest of his life signposting Jesus. He wanted Jesus to become famous.
- How can we be living signposts that point to Jesus?
Thank you that Jesus was baptised like one of us even though he is so much greater. Thank you that we can become your children. and know that you love us and are pleased with us. Help us to be like John, signposting others to Jesus.
Go into the garden. Catch a locust. Dip it in honey and eat it!
Or - if you can’t find a locust - dip something else in honey and eat it!
With your mouth full shout out, “I’m going to point to Jesus!”
Finally - have a look at the back of your card. What does it say? You can now place your card onto your story line.
We hope you are enjoying the story so far. We would love to hear your thoughts on what’s working and what’s confusing? Thanks