2 Kings 22:2 & 23:25
Josiah did what was pleasing to the Lord; he followed the example of his ancestor King David, strictly obeying all the laws of God.
There had never been a king like Josiah before, who served the LORD with all his heart, mind, and strength, obeying all the Law of Moses; nor has there been a king like him since.
Remember, prophets were people God gave messages to for Israel. The prophet in the reading is a lady, Huldah. She helped Josiah understand the law that he found and that the people had forgotten about.
Josiah became king age 8.
- If you were a king or queen for day what would you do?
Israel had forgotten about God and his law by the time Josiah became King.
- What sort of things had they got up to that they shouldn’t have?
- What was then discovered by a priest in the temple?
Bible teachers think the book of the law was probably what we know as Deuteronomy in our Bible. It was recorded by Moses and contained the 10 commandments.
- How did Josiah feel after reading the book of the law?
King Josiah needed help to know what God was saying through the book of the law.
- Who did he ask and what did she say?
Encouraged by Huldah Josiah gathered Israel together to read the book of the law to them.
- After reading the book of the law what difficult things did Josiah do?
Reading God’s book (the Bible) and putting it into practice can be hard but it’s really important.
- How have you found through reading the Bible that you have needed to change some things?
Thank you for the Bible. Thank you for all the things you teach us through it. Help us to be like the prophet Huldah who understood it and King Josiah who bravely put it into practice.
Have a hunt and get rid of anything that wouldn’t please God (e.g. unhelpful app, play list, magazine).
Finally - have a look at the back of your card. What does it say? You can now place your card onto your story line.
We hope you are enjoying the story so far. We would love to hear your thoughts on what’s working and what’s confusing? Thanks